Dawghouse

Blogging the Cleveland Browns plus other Cleveland-area blather, plus other blather about other things.

Wednesday, September 17, 2003

Vs. 49ers

OK, so what the heck happens in San Francisco this Sunday? I gotta admit that I'm nervous. 0-3 makes the playoffs unlikely. 0-3 makes a division win near impossible. 0-3 makes certain I lose the $10 I put down for a Browns Super Bowl victory.

San Francisco presents a different sort of challenge for the Browns defense than either the Colts or Ravens. Jeff Garcia has started the year out extremely well throwing balls to lots of receivers and the combo of Hearst/Barlow provides good running and catching skills. Our young linebackers will be severely tested. And of course, Terrell Owens is a monster WR who is going to make some plays and will likely be matched up with Henry due to his height. It's a daunting task, but I'm hopeful if only because the Browns defense may be better suited to play this type of team. And hell, it can't be much worse than last week.

The 49er defense is formidable as well. I don't expect this is the week the the floodgates open and the Browns light up the scoreboard. More likely, this is the week the team focuses on fundamentals, especially in the running game. Early in the game I'd really like to see Green get some decent runs and for Holcomb to hit Northcutt + Johnson for a few 6-8 yard passing plays. With any luck the team will gain confidence as the day progresses and things will start to open up. If there ever was a week to remember the old adage, "It's not how you start but how you finish" this is it.

I've been thinking quite a bit about the Browns LB performance last week and can't get a handle on how they did. On one hand, I'm very dissappointed there were so many times the linebackers were simply taken out of the play. That just shouldn't happen very often, especially when there are 8 guys in the box. On the other hand, they had some flashes and continued to play the pass well. But this position is clearly a weakness. I especially think Bentley has been MIA.

Worse than the LB core were the safeties and corners. Someone really needs to sit these guys down and tell them: you can try and put a big hit on a WR, but please just try and tackle a RB. Seriously, I don't care if you are getting drug around by Jamel Lewis' shoelace, just tackle the dude or slow him down enough to let a teammate finish the job. I big hit will get you on Sportscenter, but so will giving up an 82 yard TD run.

Anyway this weekend I think we play okay. I don't know if it will be enough to get a victory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home