Dawghouse

Blogging the Cleveland Browns plus other Cleveland-area blather, plus other blather about other things.

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Mid-Feb Action

Lots and lots of news, so much I'm wishing I had a lot more time to write about it all. I'm also wishiing I hadn't lost my Blogger password and changed my email address, making it damn near impossible that I was ever going to be able to post here again. Thankfully, my memory did not fail me. Anyway...

The Titans purged a lot of veterans, including WR Mason, CB Rolle and, perhaps of interest for the Browns, RT Fred Miller. Not sure how much interest the Browns would really have in a guy like that (Tucker is already a fine RT), but you never know. At the very least, it's probably a good thing the FA market has another quality veteran for some other team to lavish money on, while hopefully the Browns get a better price on a guy they could use.

Matt Hassellbeck resigns with the Seahawks, shortly after LT Walter Jones did the same. That's amazing, really, since Jones has been a holdout for a couple years and the Seahawks were facing 3 players becoming FAs. Now Shaun Alexander will be franchised. If I am the Seahawks, I wouldn't even bother working out a deal with Alexander. Why would you? RBs break down so fast and the guy is kind of strange to begin with. From a distance, it looks like the Seahawks managed the situation perfectly.

The Browns, meanwhile, have announced they want to resign Anthony Henry, Lewis Sanders and Kelly Holcomb. Those all sound like good moves to me. Henry is a very good corner IMO. He isn't a franchise CB but he is capable of blanketing leading wide outs and has a nose for the ball. It'd be nice to have him long-term if the team can get the right deal. Sanders, on the other hand, is a guy who has always been interesting physically but couldn't stay healthy. I thought he looked particularly good in emergency duty last season. Is he a starter? Probably not, but he could be if someone goes down and seems like a gamer who will be affordable. Finally Holcomb. It sure looks like the plan will be to start Holcomb for a year or two with another veteran backing him up and maybe even competing as a starter. That is a wise course of action. There's no point in bringing in either a high-priced FA or a rookie. This team needs one thing from the QB in 2005 -- steady leadership.

C Brown has stated he'd be willing to move to LB in a 3-4. Sounds good to me. Obviously Brown is slated to get a huge pay cut or get released. I'd have to think the team could come to an agreement though as long as Savage and Crennel thought he could make the switch. I think he can, and playing off the line might even help him avoid injuries.

Draft -- my current line of thought is 1) trade down, 2) pick Mike Williams, 3) pick Derrick Johnson. And please don't blow a #3 on a QB. Williams and Johnson are probably not worth the #3, but there aren't a lot of other options the seems like they are either. Nevertheless, things will change, and so will my opinion. Except for the first option, of course.

Also, the combine starts up this week. It is impossible to tell what players the Browns are going to be interested in, but I've been reading Savage's comments leading up to this week and he seems optimistic that the scouting staff is on-board with his process. Since there's nothing else to really go on, I'll just take those comments as a positive sign and leave it at that. Hopefully the Browns unearth a couple players this week.

And finally -- I'm rooting hard for Lebanon to find a way to be it's own country. But that is not the blog I write!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home