Dawghouse

Blogging the Cleveland Browns plus other Cleveland-area blather, plus other blather about other things.

Friday, September 05, 2003

Jones in 3-way

Now C.J. Jones is working out at cornerback. While we haven't seen him in this role yet, you have to like the move. He's certainly seems to have the athletic ability to be a decent nickel or dime back, and anything that gets the guy on the field is cool. While the team's top 4 receivers are playing there's not going to be a lot of chances for Jones to catch passes from Holcomb. If he can become a three-way player Jones will increase his value to the team even more. I don't think you can understate the value in having Jones around for whenver Andre Davis or Northcut is slowed by the inevitable injuries of the next 17 weeks.

See the game last night? I saw some of it. I thought Testeverde played pretty well and there were occasions where Curtis Martin made some fantastic runs, though they didn't go for much yardage. Overall, however, neither team set the world on fire and it was what it was -- two mediocre teams slugging it out. To me the biggest story of the night was that Ladell Betts got more carried than Trung Canidate. Next week there will be lots of people adding the guy to their fantasy team but remember, Betts still plays for a so-so team and will still split carries. That's a recipe for a fantasy fill-in player, at least at this point. As always, things could change...

Half of the ESPN "experts" are picking the Browns to win this weekend. Frankly, I think that's pretty good. The Colts have gotten plenty of positive press and will probably have the three best players on the field Sunday. But apparently people are respecting the browns offense and Butch Davis' track record of somehow, someway keeping the Browns in the game and winning football games despite various shortcomings. Personally, I'm a little more pessimistic -- I think our revamped defense will have trouble more than the Colts upgraded defense will. And if I were betting on the game I'd probably take the Colts as the underdog. But it's obviously a game the Browns can win and if their defense rises to the challenge they could even impress a lot of people.

As an added "bonus" I'll post my picks for each week this season via ESPN's Pigskin Pick'em. Here's the link. If you want to join in, you can join the leauge by using the password of simply "password." My goal is to beat five of ESPN's "experts" in overall winning percentage. I'm one-for-one so far... :) And, with a heavy heart, I'm picking the Colts to best the Browns this weekend. I hope I am wrong. :(

Oh yeah a couple random notes.... I'm not sure Lawyer Milloy will make or break either the Patriots or Bills defenses. But it should tighten an already tight AFC East race. I think the Dolphins will be weaker than everyone expects (they are, afterall, a Ricky injury away from complete mediocrity). And I think NE will likely be the division champs. And the Bills will be in it all year long. In fact, if the Bills look solid early this season I'd be inclined to say they may win the AFC... Looks like Joey Porter's gunshot wound is not going to keep him out too long -- he's already walking about and the prognosis is good. I don't know about you, but if I got shot while visiting old college buddies on campus it would be a long time until I would get my wife's blessing to return to campus... The Pittsburgh vs. Baltimore game this weekend will be very, very interesting. Someone in the AFC North is going to be much better or worse than we expect and this game might be an indication who that will be.... and yes, I know that my sentences run like William Green.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home