Dawghouse

Blogging the Cleveland Browns plus other Cleveland-area blather, plus other blather about other things.

Friday, April 23, 2004

Barring a trade, and figuring the "nightmare scenario" plays out, I more or less agree with this -- DeAngelo Hall. He'd be the closest thing left to getting an "impact player," and Butch needs an immediate starter out of this draft. In fact for that reason I'll be pretty surprised if the Browns go with a QB (though I guess that would mean Butch thinks he'll be around a while).

Other options in the first-- If Winslow somehow falls I think he's an automatic pick despite that fact I don't like the dude. Roy Williams would be the next guy I'd like to see drop. Sean Taylor, on the other hand, is not a guy I'm partial to drafting strictly on the basis that a safety is the least-important defensive position to spend big bucks on. I'll take a very good corner over a great safety. No one else at #7 seems to make much sense. Perhaps a surprise like Udeze, Harris or Wilfork but they are reaches at #7 and not really a need. I'd actually be happy in 2005/6 with Rivers if Butch went out on that limb. Those are the only guys I see wearing a Browns uniform unless a deal goes down.

And regarding a deal -- this is the year it may need to happen. Butch's drafts haven't scored many big hits, but this team has decent depth. Now we need some better starters. If the Browns could acquire Gallery without losing their 2nd round pick I think it's a deal worth seriously considering. As for trading down, I wouldn't be opposed to moving down 6-7 spots if it nets another first day pick. And later on it makes sent to try and get 3 or 4 significant contributors out of this draft. Getting an extra pick in the late 2nd or 3rd round would be a very good gamble. In fact, if a Couch or Northcutt deal materializes, the Browns would be wise to use that to trade-up their 3rd or 4th round picks.

I'm also of the mind that the Browns are planning on drafting an OG in the second. With Stokes now gone the other guys on the roster are depth-guys. Sure would be nice to trade up for Vernon Carey, but a guy like Smiley or Snee seems the likely choice. In fact, if the Browns don't get awell-regarded OL in the first two round I think the general concensus will be the Browns had a poor draft. Really, there is no reason to get too cute or creative with these first two rounds. Let's get the starter we obviously need along the offensive line and draft one other guy who can make a difference.

In the later rounds a QB seems likely, but not a sure thing -- Hybl still shows some promise IMO and could be fine as a backup. In other words, I'd look for prospects at some other positions first. A WR for certain. A safety, or a corner with the idea that Crocker can step in at safety. A defenseive end since after 2004 either Lang or Brown could be gone. And certainly I wouldn't mind getting an offensive tackle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home