Dawghouse

Blogging the Cleveland Browns plus other Cleveland-area blather, plus other blather about other things.

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Phil'n the GM Spot

Wow, I'm working on a long, detailed analysis of the Browns offseason needs and key upcoming decsions (starting with the GM and coach) but it looks like events are moving faster than I can write it all down -- Grossi reports Phil Savage is the frontrunner on the basis that most other candidates are unavailable. This, only 36 hours after the last game of the season. Amazing.

I'll try and elaborate later, but one of my theories is that the sexier the GM hire, the less succesful the GM is likely to be. For instance, Ozzie Newsome would probably wind up a dissappointment. Randy Meuller, on the other hand, would probably do quite well. There's just something about this town and Browns fans that make it so. What about Phil Savage?I don't know. My guess is expectations for a Savage reign would only be modestly high, so that probably bodes well. But I have to wonder if he's really got all the qualifications necessary for the job (he's primarily been a scout). He certainly would fall into the "first-time GM" category.

--

And, oh yeah, I'm annoyed the Browns beat Houston, even if it felt good to watch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home