Dawghouse

Blogging the Cleveland Browns plus other Cleveland-area blather, plus other blather about other things.

Monday, January 10, 2005

4 Guys

There seems to be a lot written now about a few players that were previously considered to be among the Browns better ones.

Jeff Faine -- The running game looked improved with Melvon Fowler playing center. I guess it did, but it wasn't like the Browns were tearing it up offensively in those games. But I have wondered just how good Faine really was this season -- there were plenty of times that, if you just watched Faine on a few plays, you'd see him get turned around or seem to have poor leverage and get moved out of position. And that is kind of alarming. Going into his third season we should be very confident that Faine is the incumbent starter and something of a rock on the offensive line. He is neither. And since he was a mid-first round pick, insanely high for a center, I think it's safe to say he's well on his way to bust status. Hopefully it's not too late for him to turn it around. And hopefully the regime change in Berea somehow motivates the dude. Oh yeah, word that he is both Ross Verba's drinking buddy and is on a fitness-freak diet that has caused him to lose power and weight.... those things seem contradictory to me, unless it's an all-beer diet.

Antonio Bryant -- His argument with Holcomb during the Houston game was considered a red flag by some that the dude is a loose cannon and ready to combust. I don't know. I mostly like the guy on the field and am reluctant to critcize him much since Bryant is clearly better than Quincy Morgan when it comes to playing football. If the guy can be a contributor for another season I'd say the Browns at least got something positive from that deal. But still, Bryant does have some Morgan-esque tendencies when it comes to route running and he doesn't seem to bring it every single play like a good NFL player should. I'm still in his corner though.

William Green -- a lot of press recently about how the Browns should dump him. I agree -- the Browns should pursue trading the guy for a mid-round draft pick. Green's baggage worries me less than his general sluggishness and seeming lack of desire. He has some talent, but I doubt it will ever manifest itself on a consistent basis. And hopefully Savage can extract something in a trade that the team can parlay into a real football player.

Jeff Garcia -- I've been thinking the team might as well keep Garcia for another year but, like a lot of other people apparently, have changed my mind. I keep hearing and reading how Garcia or his girlfriend are telling people they want out of Cleveland. Fine. That means the Browns have no quarterback of the future on the roster. Fine. I guess they keep Holcomb and sign someone else. I'd pick Brad Johnson, and hopefully the team can develop a QB.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home